Girl Develop It is here to provide affordable and accessible programs to learn software through mentorship and hands-on instruction.
- We are here for you!
- Every question is important
- Help each other
- Have fun
I'm happy to have you here.
Let's take a few minutes and get to know each other.
- Who are you?
- What do you hope to get out of the class?
- If you choose any woman to be on the $20 bill, who would it be and why?
Photoshop Tips & Tricks
- Why Photoshop?
- Setting up your workspace
- Layer organization
- Image Manipulation
- "The New Stuff"
- This is a survey of a very complex, multi-use program
- I don't know everything, and neither will you
- Have fun! Get messy! Ask questions!
"Fancy" Photoshop Lingo
There isn't much to learn, terminology-wise but...
PSD: The file extension for a Photoshop files.
(...and we'll cover other terms as we get to them.)
Raster vs. Vector
- Dots = pixels (sometimes)
- Cannot resize without quality loss
- GIF, JPG, PNG
- Math-based (!)
- Uses geometry to create graphics (!)
- Infinitely resize while maintaining quality
- SVG, EPS
It's kind of hard to get away from Photoshop but some people do! They use:
- HTML and CSS right in the browser ("designing in the browser")
- Web-based prototyping tools (InVision, Adobe's Edge suite)
- Gimp (popular open source alternative)
Under the Photoshop menu.
- Units & Rulers
- Guides & Grid
Saved arrangements of:
- tool panels
- keyboard shortcuts
Window > Workspace
Let's Do It!
Take a few minutes to customize your workspace
Creating and working with actual FILES!
Grids & Guides
- Grid systems (tons of downloads online)
- Bootstrap 12-column grid systems
- Smart guides
- Group and group some more
- Use clear names
- Get rid of the cruft
- Consolidate, within reason
Image manipulation in 5 slides!
- Filters vs Layer styles
- Destructive vs non
2. Smart Objects
They're your friends
5. Layer masks
- Avoids destructive editing
- Make sure you select the mask when editing
- White/Black brush
- Lots more. Google's your friend!
The really exciting stuff
New features in CC 2017:
- Exporting from layers
What's the big deal?
- Good for web comps
- Device sizes baked in
- Better than switching between files
What's the big deal?
- Save in all formats and sizes
- No more slicing!
- NO MORE SLICING!
Make Your Own $20 Bill
- Placing Images
- Layer Masks
- Effects & Styles
- Blend Modes
to submit your feedback about this class. It's anonymous and I really really really appreciate it.